What To Pack
What's the weather like in Richmond?
Richmond is located in the mid-Atlantic region on the East Coast and is about 100 miles south from the nation’s capital, Washington, D.C. The average temperature in Richmond is 33 degrees Celsius / 91 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer and 5.5 degrees Celsius / 42 degrees Fahrenheit during the winter months.
The four distinct seasons require a variety of clothing, including warm clothing for the winter. The dress code on campus is generally informal, and most students wear casual clothing to classes. However, students are advised to have clothing appropriate for professional and special social functions that may arise.
Avoid bringing excess items that can be purchased once you arrive and appliances that cannot be used with the U.S. current (110V). Listed below are items students suggest you bring because of expenses in the U.S. and for convenience:
- Extra eye glasses or contact lenses & fluid
- Frequently used or favorite books
- Traditional or special medicines, packaged & wrapped – medicines you need should be in your carry-on luggage in case your luggage is lost. All fluids over 3 oz. should be in your large luggage and checked in
- Photos, slides, maps, flags, artifacts, clothing typical of your country that can be used to share your culture with other students
- Medical history from your home country physician (translated into English)
You will need bedding and personal items, but it is best to purchase them after you arrive, as bed and pillow sizes vary by country and these items take up lots of space.